Overview of multilayer technology
The miniaturisation of electronic devices requires the implementation of more and more functionalities in less and less space. At the same time, the density of components on a circuit board is also increasing. Multilayer circuit boards with four or more copper layers are therefore used in almost all areas of electronics.
Rewiring is possible on up to 30 layers, which are generally connected with plated through holes. Thicknesses of up to 3.20 mm are possible in PCB production.
- Circuit boards with up to 30 layers of copper
- Existing material variety provides countless combination possibilities
- Extremely thin material components starting from 0.05 mm thickness of inner layer for electrical functions in multilayer assemblies
- From circuit board sample to large-scale production from a single source
- Printed circuit board samples produced in series quality
The main challenge with multilayer PCBs is to ensure the optimal handling of the very thin layers of material. Continuously automated production processes ensure consistent quality even with high-layer multilayers.
Accurately designed registration processes guarantee maximum uniformity of all layers - even with the finest structures. The layer stack-up can be individually designed for many electrical requirements (EMC, impedance, etc.) using insulation thicknesses starting at 50 μm for cores and prepregs.
The resin filling and insulation thicknesses for the layer stack-ups are calculated by means of intelligent software. Cost and quality optimisation can also be achieved.
|Number of layers||4 to 30|
|PCB thickness||0.50 to 3.20mm|
|Materials||FR4, hybrid of different FR4 possible|
|Glass transition temperature Base material||135°C; 150°C; 170/180°C|
|Aspect Ratio Plated through holes||≤ 1:10|
The values specified represent the maximum performance spectrum and may be restricted in certain combinations.
Solder resist masks
- Photosensitive coating systems, thermal final curing
- Colours: green, red, blue, glossy black, matt black, white, yellow
- Non-photosensitive coating systems, purely thermosetting: white, black
- Chemical nickel/gold
- Chemical tin
- Electroplated nickel/gold
- HAL or HAL lead-free
- others on request
- Hole filler/through hole filler
- Peelable solder mask
The end faces of the PCB contour can be plated in order to improve the EMC protection of a PCB, make electrical contact with the housing of the module or meet increased cleanliness requirements.
Milled plated through holes
It is possible to produce application-specific components with so-called milled plated through holes. Due to the possibility of contact on the front side, the resulting PCBs can be soldered as components to another board (interposer).
Contour production: milling and scoring