Overview of Iceberg® technology
Increasingly powerful components require an increasing amount of current and emit increasing amounts of lost heat. To ensure the reliability of the circuit in the long term, the circuit board must also satisfy these requirements.
Thick copper/Iceberg® PCBs are characterised by stacks with mixed copper thicknesses of 105 to 400 µm in outer layers - in the case of uniform surface topography. As a result, high currents and fine conductors can be efficiently combined in a multilayer with additional optional inner layers.
These circuit boards are used for large (high) current outputs as well as for cooling for good thermal management. Due to the fact that copper promotes heat spread. The design is usually as a multilayer.
Thick copper and expertise are required here for thermal management as well as current carrying capacity. At KSG you will find both to suit your project.
- From prototype to large-scale production from a single source
- Samples are also possible in series quality
- Power and control electronics on a single board
- Optimised parts and logistics management
- Production and processing with common copper-based materials using standard processes
- Cost optimisation of the final product
- Use of standard materials and technologies
- High currents and heat dissipation in the circuit board
|Number of layers||2-8|
|PCB thickness||1.5 mm - 3.2 mm|
|Final copper outer layers||105 and 400 µm|
|Final copper inner layer||18, 35, 70, 105, 210 µm|
|PCB layout||Depending on final copper according to design compass|
|Minimum drilling diameter||Min. ⅔ of the total copper thickness|
|Aspect ratio||≤ 1:6|
The values specified represent the maximum performance spectrum and may be restricted in certain combinations.
Solder resist masks
- Photosensitive solder mask systems
- UV solder mask system: Screen printing
- Colours: green, red, blue, glossy black, matt black, white, yellow
- Chemical nickel/gold
- Chemical tin
- Electroplated nickel/gold
- HAL or HAL lead-free
- others on request
- Hole filler/through hole filler
- Peelable solder mask
The end faces of the PCB contour can be plated in order to improve the EMC protection of a PCB, make electrical contact with the housing of the module or meet increased cleanliness requirements.
Milled plated through holes
It is possible to produce application-specific components with so-called milled plated through holes. Due to the possibility of contact on the front side, the resulting PCBs can be soldered as components to another board (interposer).
Contour production: milling and scoring
- Use filled thermostable base materials with low Z-axis expansion
- Calculate resin filling level (material-dependent pre-calculation using
- layer stack-up program at KSG)
- Use sufficient resin-rich prepregs
- Avoid "stacked" copper surfaces and copper-free areas
- (View through all inner layers)
- Evenly distribute copper surfaces and copper-free areas
- Fill large copper-free areas with copper
- Generate sufficiently large residual rings
Our tool for high-current conductor systems enables you to quickly and easily calculate the required conductor width for high-current conductor systems on a FR4 PCB.